Saturday, February 04, 2006

Welcome Alaska Knitters!

Welcome to the blog for Team Alaska for the Knitting Olympics 2006.
Only 6 days until Cast On (Opening Ceremonies), so there's no time to lose.

Knitters all over the world are taking up the challenge. Simply pick a pattern, something that is a challenge for you. There are no consequences if you don't finish it...this is for fun!!! The rules are easy...you cast on during the Opening Ceremonies on February 10, then try to finish by the end of the closing ceremonies on February 26.

Click on the "Knitting Olympics 2006" link at the right for the official rules from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (author of "the Yarn Harlot"), or go to this URL:
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html

Team Alaska rules:
1. You must either live in, or be from, or have visited, or plan to visit, Alaska.
2. You must knit. (This is a KNITTING Olympics, 'nuff said).
3. You must seek a higher plane of knitting, pushing yourself that one extra step further than ever.
4. You must TRY to finish this commitment.
5. You must not stress yourself beyond comeback.
6. You must remember this is FUN.
7. You will NOT win a car, boat or vacation to some far away resort.
8. You must cast on during the opening ceremonies but may do a swatch before hand (training for the events)!

Please post and introduce yourself. Describe what you're going to make - the project, the yarn, why you chose this project, include a picture if you can, etc.

Don't forget to include the URL for your blog, too, if you have one.

Linda (archeoharp)

ps.... I'm not really familiar with using Blogger, so feel free to add buttons, add links on the left, etc.... whatever you think will make this an excellent team site.

8 comments:

kathy in Juneau said...

I finally decided I HAD to be part of the 2006 Knitting Olympics. Just sent a comment to Stephanie's blog and wondered aloud about a Team AK .. lo & behold here you are! I’m in Juneau. Going to attempt a pair of the Jaywalker socks that all the bloggers seem to be 'abloggin about. (Self-dyed, self-striping yarn). Now, let the games begin!

kathy in Juneau

kathy in Juneau said...

I finally decided I HAD to be part of the 2006 Knitting Olympics. Just sent a comment to Stephanie's blog and wondered aloud about a Team AK .. lo & behold here you are! I’m in Juneau. Going to attempt a pair of the Jaywalker socks that all the bloggers seem to be abloggin' about. (Self-dyed, self-striping yarn). Now, let the games begin!

kathy in Juneau

kathy in Juneau said...

oops, I am enthusiastic ..

Erin Gratz said...

Go TEAM ALASKA!!!! Can I join up??? I just relocated from Ketchikan (2 weeks ago) but am still Alaskan at heart. (Can I come back???) My Knitting Olympics *event* is going to be the Beau sweater from Rowan Vintage Style. I'm still waiting for my yarn to arrive. . .but I'm sure it will be here for the lighting of the flame!

GO TEAM ALASKA GO!

erin...still dreaming of SE AK.

Anonymous said...

Well this is a cute idea. To be truly olympic, though, wouldn't we have to be competing on the same patterns with the same yarn and needles? Perhaps the Jaywalker socks. And yes, I'm a male knitter and can hang with the best of them.

Carly said...

Hi! Can I join the team? I'm originally from Anchorage (parents still live there) and I'd love to have a team to cheer on, no one in Utah seems to have heard about the Knitting Olympics! I'm going to knit my first ever "completed" sweater, and I'm designing it myself! Can't wait to get started!

Carly said...

Oops, forgot to include my email. It's lolabella24 (at) hotmail (dot) com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to join? I'm going to see if I can knit a sweater in this time and still keep up with my usual commitments. I'll choose the yarn and pattern when I get home this evening from yarn and patterns I already own. It is great that there is a Team Alaska. I live in Ketchikan and heard about this knitting on the NPR segment.