Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Mitten Medley


I've finally decided what to knit for the Knitting Olympic Trials (and the Ravelympics on Ravelry). I started some beautiful Selbuvotter mittens in purple and white, with Leicester Longwool, last November, and they just didn't go too well. The needle size I was using was really too small for the yarn, and they were feeling rather stiff because they were so tightly knit. So I'll be frogging this week in anticipation of re-casting on Friday. The photo with this post is what they looked like before frogging (sigh).

On the Ravelympics, people are being encouraged to start casting on during the actual time of the ceremonies in Beijing, which would be 4 a.m. Alaska time, 5 a.m. Pacific Time, and 6 a.m. Edmonton and New Mexico time (places where Team Alaska Knitters will be on Friday). Knitters who do that could get a little extra knitting time in before NBC actually broadcasts the ceremony in the U.S.A. on Friday. But to be fair, knitters who start then should also plan to be finished by the time the Beijing closing ceremony is done. I think I might just cast on Friday evening when the ceremony is broadcast on TV, even though I'll be in Edmonton, and may not actually be watching. When do the rest of you plan to cast on?

No comments: