Monday, August 04, 2008

Hello Fellow Team Alaska Knitters




My name is Diana. I live in Anchorage with my husband and two sons, ages 8 and 10 years old. I've been knitting on and off since I was 10 years old. If you do the math, that's a little over 30 years. I was a finisher in the 2006 Knitting Olympics, thanks to Linda, and I'm looking forward to participating again.
Casting on Friday night will also coincide with our 18th anniversary since moving to Alaska. 18 years ago, Friday night, my husband (boyfriend at the time)and I, spent our first night in Alaska, at a campground somewhere between the border and Tok. While camping that first night, swatting away at the thick clouds of mosquitos, I saw my first float plane land and take off right on the lake we were camping at. Very cool to a girl born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. Little did I know, that I'd soon live 2 miles from one of the most active float plane bases in the world, Lake Hood. My sons and I often take bike rides around Lake Hood and love to watch the planes take off and land as we bike.

The Ravelympic event I've entered is the Gift Knit Pentathalon. I'll be working on a hat/fingerless glove combo for one of my nieces, whose turning 7 in September. I've knit this for her mother (SIL, picture to left) and her sister, for both of their birthdays, so she's really looking forward to her set. They live in the SF Bay Area, so these hats and gloves are more for fashion then function. Here's a link to my project at the Ravelry site.


Enough about me, I'd love to hear what Olympic events are your favorites, who's your favorite athlete and what sport makes you pause and wonder "Is that really a sport?".


Looking forward to everyone's updates & happy knitting,

Diana

No comments: