Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Working, working


Hello fellow Olympic knitters. Kathy from Valley SOCK here.
I'm working on this simple baby blanket as my challenge. Since it's not really difficult, I upped the ante by trying the Old Norwegian cast on, and am doing the Norwegian purl (those old Norwegians sure liked lots of twists and turns!). You can find both by Googling.
Look at the row of knit stitches between the stockinette and reverse stockinette blocks on the lower right - see how the row of stitches is loose and sloppy? Those in the know say that comes from going from a knit to a purl when you pick - too much yarn used, and it slips back into the knit stitch. Now look at the same sequence in the section above - the stitches are neater and tighter! Must be because the Norwegian purl twists a bit - not enough to create a twisted stitch, but enough to tighten up the stitches. I may become a convert! Thanks to Shawnalee for showing me the stitch.
I've got one problem, though. Can't knit AND watch ice skating at the same time. I've got to hurry or I'll never finish at this rate!

1 comment:

Ketchikan Choc said...

Thanks for sharing some new, at least to me, techniques to investigate.